Skip to main content

Instructional Resources for Faculty

Annual Course Offering

Please communicate your full teaching availability, space, and computing/equipment needs to Jessica Greenlaw through the Instructional Management System (IMS),

Course Assignments

Below are the guidelines we use for creating our annual schedule and quarterly schedule. 

  • Course offering is determined by programmatic needs for both the Undergraduate and Graduate Programs in the Visual Arts Department
  • Care will be taken to ensure that there are minimal conflicts for students
    • Undergraduate courses will be spread out throughout the day and week
    • Discussion courses will be scheduled to limit possible conflicts between employment and course offerings for graduate students

Course Support

Effective for Fall Quarter, 2020:

The maximum amount provided for undergraduate course support is $350 per course, of which a maximum of $250 may be used for a guest speaker.

To request funds for materials, models, or other instructional expenses related to the undergraduate course(s) you are teaching, please submit an email request, subject titled "Fall 2020 Course Fund Request", to the Fiscal Manager with the following information:

  • Course Number and Title
  • Amount Requested
  • Purpose of funds requested

If funds are for a speaker, please provide: Name, Email, Date of event, any UC affiliation. 
If recording guest speaker, a Release will be needed.

Attach a copy of the syllabus to your request.

All course budget requests must be approved by the Chair and/or MSO. Retroactive requests are not considered.


Religious Accommodations

It is the policy of the University to make reasonable efforts to accommodate students having bona fide religious conflicts with scheduled examinations by providing alternative times or methods to take such examinations. 

Disclosure of Student Information

  • Student information is highly confidential.
  • Students have the right to restrict any or all of their information. 
  • You may not publicly post grades using any personal identifier that could be recognized by third parties. Public locations include websites.
  • Instructors must provide secure procedures for returning graded examinations. 

Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

FERPA protects the confidentiality of student information. Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Confidentiality of Student Records in order to safeguard student information/grades.

Other Make-up Exams

Supervising exams is the instructor's responsibility (or the TA's, as applicable).

The department will make space available for make-up exams when possible. Please contact the Undergraduate Advising Office to reserve space.



Students who are unable to complete their course work may request an Incomplete to extend the completion of their work by one quarter. Eligibility requirements to receive an Incomplete:

  • Student grade must be of non-failing quality at the time of the request
  • Student must be experiencing a circumstance beyond their control that is preventing them from completing the course
  • Student and Instructor must submit the Incomplete Form to the Undergraduate Advising Office.

Grade Changes

  • All grades assigned except "I"(Incomplete) and "IP" (In-Progress) are final.
  • No changes of a final grade may be made on the basis of revision or augmentation of a student's work in the course.
  • No grade may be changed after one calendar year from the time the grade was recorded.

Grade Submission

Grades are submitted via eGrades, a web based application that allows instructors to submit final grades for the students in their courses. View a full tutorial on submitting eGrades.

Students with Disabilities

Students with Disabilities

Students with disabilities may request a variety of accommodations that the University is required by law to provide. Students who wish to request an accommodation must provide the instructor with official documentation, signed by the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD), describing the required accommodation. The most frequent request is for additional time on exams and/or a quiet location to take an exam.

If a student with a disability contacts you and you cannot accommodate them, please contact our OSD Liaison, Jessica Greenlaw.

Student Enrollment

During the academic year and summer session, instructors should be aware of the following non-UC San Diego students

  • Concurrent Enrollment- refers to non-UC San Diego students enrolled in UC San Diego courses through University Extension. Extension students do not appear on UC San Diego rosters, but instructors will receive a separate roster in the mail from Extension. However, Extension students are listed on eGrades. Students may approach instructors with a Concurrent Enrollment Form. Instructors may sign the form, but students should be directed to the Sociology main office for the department stamp.
  • Cross Enrollment- refers to California Community College or California State University undergraduate students enrolled in UC San Diego courses. Students will approach instructors with an Application for Cross Enrollment. Instructors are to sign the form, and direct the student to the Sociology main office for the department stamp.
  • Summer Enrollment- Summer session allows a variety of non-UC San Diego students to take courses over the summer. Non-UC San Diego students do not require instructor signature to enroll, however they may not have the necessary prerequisites to enroll and may contact instructors for preauthorization. Please direct these students to our online Preauthorization System.

Class List

Class list can be viewed and downloaded from Blink by clicking on Instruction Tools tab, then click the Class lists link. You have the option to:

  • View class list or wait list
  • Download class list or wait list (excel file)
  • Email class list or wait list (no attachments allowed)
  • View class photos (from campus ID)
  • Print class roster (pdf)



Educational Technology Services

Educational Technology Services (ETS), formerly ACMS, provides tools, services and facilities to help manage and/or enhance your courses using technology.

  • TritonEd - the campus-wide Learning Management System
  • Turnitin - originality checking software
  • Classroom Details — find information regarding every classroom and lecture hall (technology, media, seating capacity, lighting, and more)
  • Podcasting - audio and video podcast services to record your lectures
  • Computer labs and software - access to campus labs with licenses for lots of popular software
  • Video production assistance - contact the Media Teaching Lab to coordinate video production resources for your course
  • Virtual Computing Labs - access to specialty software from a personal computer, tablet, or smartphone


Textbook Orders

An email will be sent soliciting textbook orders six weeks in advance of your first class. To order please log into Include the course number and title, book title, author, edition, ISBN and publisher. These requests are compiled and submitted to the UCSD Bookstore. Desk copies for yourself and/or your Teaching Assistants/Readers will be placed by Visual Arts Advising staff based on these orders. If you do not have access to IMS, you can email your requests to OR you can submit your book order to the University Bookstore directly at Geisel Library offers a variety of options for placing course materials on reserve for students. For more information visit the Library website. This service is often used if you have a list of recommended books or articles in addition to required texts for the course. If you plan to use a course reader (i.e., a collection of photocopied articles and other materials), there are a variety of options on campus with different types of products. All entities need to request permissions from the copyright holder, which can take up to six weeks. Please see Visual Arts Advising staff to discuss your options.

Course Book Loans - TAs/Readers

TAs and Readers are asked to contact the Visual Arts Advising staff to receive the text books for the courses they are employed. These books are strictly on loan and students will be asked to return the books at the end of the quarter.

Library Course Reserves

Course-related materials can be made available for students through the UCSD Libraries. Place items "on reserve" for a class such as: textbooks, journal articles, videos, book chapters, practice exams etc.